We welcome students from around the world to be a part of The City School family. International students enrich our school with new cultures, insights, and perspectives. In return we offer a safe and supportive environment in which to grow and flourish. The City School has provided excellent college-preparatory classes based on Christian principles since 1978. Located in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, The City School brings learning to life by taking advantage of the city’s unparalleled cultural resources. We are excited to help you explore the possibility of becoming a student at The City School!
To get to know our school better, please view our International Brochure, Frequently Asked Questions and explore the school website. You can also contact Ms. Ji Su Yun, International Program Coordinator by email or at 215-731-1930 with any questions.
Here is a short testimony from Ian, an International student who attended The City School.
How to Apply
A student requiring an I-20 is considered an International Student at The City School. This school is authorized under Federal law to enroll nonimmigrant students. Applications received by April 30 will be given priority consideration. To apply, follow these 7 steps:
Step 1 – Application Packet
Compile your application packet by preparing:
- Your transcript (translated into English) showing grades for the past three years, including the current year.
- Results of an English proficiency test (TOEFL, TOEFL Jr, iTEP SLATE, IELTS, or ELTiS)
- Copy of passport identification page
- $100 non-refundable application fee
- International Student Application
- Two Teacher Assessments (attach teacher recommendation letters)
- High School Student Questionnaire
- Evidence of Financial Support (attach bank statement/letter)
Step 2 – Application Submission
Email the complete application packet to Ms. Ji Su Yun or mail it to The City School at Rittenhouse (315 S. 17th Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103)
Step 3 – Interview & Exam
Once all documents have been submitted, you will be contacted to set up an Admissions Interview. This is conducted in person or via Skype with the Student, Parents, Principal, and International Coordinator. Also, you will be scheduled to take our Entrance Exam.
Step 4 – Letter of Decision
Once the Admissions Interview and Entrance Exam are completed, a Letter of Decision will be sent to you notifying whether you are accepted into The City School.
Step 5 – Enrollment
Once you have received a Letter of Acceptance, an Enrollment Form (emailed to you) will be requested along with a non-refundable $400 Enrollment Fee.
Step 6 – I-20 & Visa
Once you have enrolled, we will mail you an I-20, a certificate of eligibility for non-immigrant F-1 student status. You will need to schedule an appointment with the U.S. Consulate to apply for an F-1 visa.
Step 7 – Tuition & Final Forms
Tuition payment is due within 30 days of official acceptance to The City School. The following forms (emailed to you) will need to be submitted with the tuition payment:
- Student Medical Form (completed by a licensed physician) along with a copy of your health insurance
- Signed International Student Handbook
- Signed Designated Guardian Form (if applicable)
- Signed Power of Attorney (if applicable)
Once these steps are complete, you are all set to arrive at The City School! As you go through the application process, Ms. Yun is happy to answer any questions you have. You can reach her at 215-731-1930 or by email.